Working 365 days to Advance and Defend Your Right to Vote
Who We AreContact Us
The national, nonpartisan Election Protection coalition works year-round to ensure that all voters have an equal opportunity to vote and have that vote count. Made up of more than 300 local, state and national partners, Election Protection uses a wide range of tools and activities to protect, advance and defend the right to vote.
What We Do
Election Protection uses a wide range of tools and activities to protect, advance and defend the right to vote. We provide Americans from coast to coast with comprehensive information and assistance at all stages of voting – from registration, to absentee and early voting, to casting a vote at the polls, to overcoming obstacles to their participation. Election Protection helps voters make sure their vote is counted through a number of resources.
Throughout the election cycle, our volunteers provide voter information, document problems they encounter when voting and work with partners and volunteers on the ground to identify and remove barriers to voting. Election Protection focuses on the voter – not on the political horse race – and provides guidance, information and help to any American, regardless of his or her voting choices.
Election Protection provides Americans from coast to coast with comprehensive information and assistance at all stages of voting – from registration, to absentee and early voting, to casting a vote at the polls, to overcoming obstacles to their participation. Election Protection helps voters make sure their vote is counted through a number of resources, including:
- A suite of voter helplines administered by coalition members:
- Voter protection field programs: legal – managed by the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law and grassroots managed by Common Cause
- Digital outreach tools: including 866ourvote.org, @866ourVote, and facebook.com/866OurVote
- Communications: Coordinate a national response to large-scale voting issues, create shared messaging for the Election Protection coalition, reinforce the Election Protection brand, coordinate digital messaging strategies, lead national earned and paid media campaigns, and share content across the coalition.
- Field: Share nationwide best practices for Election Protection field programs including volunteer recruitment, training, and tools.
- Legal Strategies & Scenario Planning: Share strategies to defeat voting barriers, work with the Communications Working Group to provide information about ongoing litigation, and provide a forum for planning new strategies. Plan how to respond to various voter suppression scenarios and collaborate with all working groups on comprehensive strategies that incorporate all the tools of the Election Protection coalition.
- Data & Technology: Share information and strategies about using data and technology to improve Election Protection efforts.
- Misinformation & Disinformation: Monitor and track misinformation and disinformation on social media for voter assistance. Determine trends to develop inoculation messaging. Remove content that violates platforms’ terms of service and develop policies to require platforms to strengthen their policies.
- Election Security: Engage with election officials about election security, educate voters about how they can remedy election security failures, and share ways to mitigate voting equipment failures or systemic equipment issues during voting.
- Language & Accessibility: Lift up best practices for language accessibility and disability access at the polls and in Election Protection programming.
- Jail & Post Release Voting: Develop and advance jail and post-release voting programs, strategies, campaigns, and resource materials to expand and protect the voting rights of incarcerated individuals and people who are on probation or parole.