Upcoming Elections

Last updated: March 2022

Voting in Mississippi

When You Can Vote

The polls must be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Central Time on Election Day. A voter in line at the polling place by 7:00 p.m. must be allowed to vote

Where You Can Vote

Voters are required to go to their assigned polling place. Voters can determine the proper polling place by checking the Mississippi Secretary of State website’s Polling Place Locator for County elections. Polling place for Municipal elections may differ from the polling places for County elections. To find out where your polling place is for municipal elections, contact your County Circuit Clerk or Municipal Clerk.

Registering to Vote

Registration Deadlines

  • For registration deadlines, see How to Register below.

How to Check Your Registration: Voters can determine whether they are registered to vote at the following link: Am I Registered?.

You are eligible to vote in Mississippi if you:

  • Are a U.S citizen
  • Are a resident of Mississippi
  • Are at least 18 years old by Election Day
  • Live in the precinct where you vote for at least 30 days prior to the election

You are NOT eligible to vote in Mississippi if:

  • A judge has specifically ruled that you are not able to vote.
  • You are not eligible to vote if you have been convicted in a Mississippi state court of certain crimes. A complete list of those crimes is provided on the Mississippi Mail-In Voter Registration Application.

If you were convicted of any crime that’s not one of the 23 barred crimes, whether it was a felony or misdemeanor, you never lost your right to vote and you may register to vote and cast a ballot.

Restorative Requirements

  • If your sentence is completed, you should apply to the Governor for a pardon if necessary. After you have been pardoned (or both houses of the state legislature have passed a bill restoring your voting rights), then you may register to vote and cast a ballot, even while you are on parole or probation.

How to register 

By Mail: Voters can register to vote by filling out the Mississippi Mail-In Voter Registration Application and sending the completed form to your County Circuit Clerk’s office.  

In Person: If a voter does not have access to a computer and/or printer, voter registration is available in person at the County Circuit Clerk’s office, the Municipal Clerk’s office, or at the Mississippi Department of Public Safety. Registration is also available in person at any state or federal agency offering government services, such as the Department of Human Services.

Residency requirement: Every United States citizen has the right to vote in federal, state, and local elections as long as the voter is a resident of Mississippi and the county, city, or town for 30 days prior to the election for which they are registering to vote.

Voting Early & by Absentee Ballot

If You Want to Vote Absentee, requests may be made:

  • In-Person
  • By Mail
  • Phone

Absentee Ballots may be returned:

  • In-Person
  • By Mail

Mississippi does not have regular early voting, but voters may qualify for absentee voting in person or by mail and vote before Election Day. 

A voter must visit their County Circuit Clerk’s Office to vote absentee in person.
Instructions for both mail-in and in-person absentee voting are available:  Absentee Voting Guide

Identification Requirements

Voter Registration

To register to vote in Mississippi you should provide one of the following:

  • Last Four Digits of your Social Security Number
  • Your Mississippi Driver’s License Number

If you live at a non-traditional address, you must include a drawing or map of your location

If you do not have any of these IDs, you can provide a copy of one of the following with your registration application:

  • Current and Valid Photo ID
  • Government Issued Document that shows your current name and address
  • Utility Bill
  • Government Check
  • Bank Statement
  • Paycheck that Shows your Current Name and Address

You can alternatively provide one of these documents when you vote to complete your registration.

Voting In-Person

In Mississippi, you need to show a valid photo ID to vote. You can use any ID from this list:

  • Valid ID with photo issued by a Government Agency
  • Valid Government Employee ID
  • Valid Mississippi Driver’s License
  • Valid Mississippi Issued ID
  • Valid US Passport
  • License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm
  • Valid Student ID from State School
  • Valid Military ID
  • Valid Tribal ID
  • Valid Mississippi Voter ID Card

IDs must be current or without an expiration date, or one which has expired, but is not yet more than 10 years beyond the issuance date. Call 1-844-MSVOTER (1-844-678-6837) to get a free Mississippi Voter Id card if you don’t have the required id.

A registered voter who does not have valid identification is still entitled to vote by an affidavit ballot.

Photo identification is not required for absentee voters who return their ballots by mail.

If a registered voter does not have any of these acceptable forms of photo ID, a free Mississippi Voter Identification Card will be provided at no cost to the voter at any Circuit Clerk’s Office in Mississippi. Application for a card may be made during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Call 1-844-MSVOTER (1-844-678-6837) for information.

You may use an expired photo ID as long as it is an acceptable form of photo ID and is not more than 10 years

old. The expired ID must contain the name and photograph of the voter, and have been validly issued by the

federal or a state government.

If You Have Moved Within Your State

Moving within the Same Precinct: If you moved within the same county and have not re-registered with that address, you can vote with a provisional Affidavit Ballot. If you moved within the same voter precinct your polling place will have remained the same, and you may vote regardless of when you moved. 

Moving within the Same County but a Different Precinct:

If you moved within the county to a different voter precinct, you should go the polling place for your new address, but you only will be able to vote if you moved within the last 30 days.

Moving Between Counties: If you moved to a different county more than 30 days before the General Election and have not re-registered with that address, you cannot vote, except for the President and Vice President in a Presidential election. If you moved to a different county within 30 days of the General Election and have not re-registered with that address, you may still vote for President and Vice President in your original voter precinct

If You are in the Military or are an Overseas Voter

Voting Military

Service members and their dependents may register and request a ballot using the federal voter registration/ballot request form (“FPCA”). You will have the following identification options when completing the form:

  • U.S. State or Territory or District Issued ID
  • Option to Indicate that you do not have the Requested ID
  • Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number

Voting Overseas

U.S. citizens living overseas may register and request a ballot using the overseas voter registration/ballot request form. You will have the following identification options when completing the form:

  • U.S. State or Territory or District Issued ID
  • Option to Indicate that you do not have the Requested ID
  • Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA): Military and other overseas citizens may use the standard procedure for absentee voting by mail, but there are also special provisions for U.S. citizens residing outside of the U.S. and active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and Merchant Marine and their family members.

Registering and Requesting an Absentee Ballot:

Military and overseas citizen voters may use the standard procedures discussed above for voter registration and for absentee voting by mail.

Military and overseas voters may also use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to register to vote, to request absentee ballots, or to register to vote and request absentee ballots simultaneously. FPCA registration and requests for absentee ballots can be done via email, fax, or mail. 

For more information visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s (FVAP) Mississippi-specific FPCA page or the Mississippi Secretary of State’s UOCAVA page

Receiving an Absentee Ballot:

UOCAVA voters may receive their absentee ballots by email, fax, or mail by specifying their preference using the appropriate check box on the FPCA. Mississippi must send UOCAVA voters their absentee ballots at least 45 days prior to the election.

Absentee ballots may be cast be mail, fax, or email. To email or fax your election materials, use the Electronic Transmission cover sheet and email or fax the cover sheet and ballot to your county’s Circuit Clerk UOCAVA contact.  The deadline for receipt of absentee ballots by the Circuit Clerk is 7:00 p.m. on the day of the election n if returning the ballot by e-mail or fax, and five (5) business days from the date of the election if returning by mail and the mailed ballot is postmarked on or before election day.

Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot:

The Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) is a back-up ballot that can be used by UOCAVA voters. Military personnel and overseas voters who request an absentee ballot, but do not receive the absentee ballot in time for the ballot to be returned in time to be counted, may use the Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB). 

Your FWAB must be received by your local voting officials in Mississippi no later than 7:00 p.m. on Election Day.  For specific instructions, visit the FVAP’s Mississippi-specific FWAB page.

If You Have a Felony Conviction

You cannot vote if you have been convicted in a Mississippi state (but not federal) court for a disenfranchising crime. The disenfranchising crimes are arson, armed robbery, bigamy, bribery, carjacking, embezzlement, extortion, felony bad check, felony shoplifting, forgery, larceny, murder, obtaining money or goods under false pretense, perjury, rape, receiving stolen property, robbery, statutory rape, theft, timber larceny, larceny under lease or rental agreement, and unlawful taking of motor vehicle.

Unless you have been convicted by a Mississippi court of one of the specific crimes listed above, you can vote in Mississippi at all times – even while you are incarcerated. 

Note: no person shall be deemed to be a resident of a county solely because of being incarcerated in a facility under the jurisdiction of the Department of Corrections that is located in such a county. 

Even if you have been convicted of a similar offense in another state or a federal felony, you still may vote.

Questions about voting in Mississippi?

Contact Us