Upcoming Elections

Mar. 17, 2021 – Voter Registration Deadline – Mail or Online

Registrations must be postmarked by March 17, 2021.

My Vote Wisconsin. Voters may register at the polls on Election Day (also known as “same day registration.”) Voters must provide a “proof of residence” document to do so.

Apr. 2, 2021 – Voter Registration Deadline – In-Person

Deadline is 5:00 pm on April 2, 2021 (at City Hall).

My Vote Wisconsin. Voters may register at the polls on Election Day (also known as “same day registration.”) Voters must provide a “proof of residence” document to do so.

Last Updated: March 25, 2021

Voting in Wisconsin

When You Can Vote

Election Day:

Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. local time on Election Day.

Each city, village and town in Wisconsin is responsible for setting the dates and hours of in-person absentee voting (early voting) for their municipality.  To find the dates and hours for in-person absentee voting where you live, contact your Municipal Clerk.

Where You Can Vote

How to Find Your Polling Place:

Visit the My Vote Wisconsin polling place look-up page.

NOTE: Polling places may have changed due to COVID-19, please ensure all voters check with their local clerk to determine their polling location here.

Registering to Vote

Registration Deadlines: 

Wisconsin has Same Day Registration: voters can register at a local municipal clerk’s office or at a polling place on Election Day. 

If registering for the General Election by mail, the voter registration application must be postmarked no later than March 17, 2021.  Electronic registration closes at 11:59 p.m. on March 17th. Voters may also register in-person at their municipal clerk’s office until April  2, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. or the close of business (whichever is later).

How to Check Your Registration: Visit My Vote Wisconsin or call 866-OUR-VOTE.

Registration Eligibility: In order to be eligible to register in Wisconsin, you must:

  • Be a citizen of the United States;
  • Reside in Wisconsin 28 consecutive days;
  • Be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day;
  • Not be a convicted felon, unless your sentence has been fully completed (including probation and parole); and
  • Not declared mentally incompetent through a judicial proceeding.

How to Register: Wisconsin residents may register in any of the following ways: 

  1. Voters may register at the polls on election day (also known as “same day registration.”). Voters must provide a “proof of residence” document to do so. See below for requirements.
  2. Voters may register until March 17, 2021 at https://myvote.wi.gov/en-US/RegisterToVote, so long as they have a Wisconsin Driver License or Wisconsin state ID card.
  3. Voters may register by completing a paper registration form and mailing, emailing, faxing or delivery the form to the municipal clerk no later than 20 days before the next election (i.e., the 3rd Wednesday preceding the election). The forms must be accompanied by a “proof of residence” document.
  4. Voters may register in person in their municipal clerk’s office until the close of business on the Friday before an election. Voters cannot register on a Saturday, Sunday, or Monday before an election.

Proof of Residence Required for Registration:

Note: Documentary requirements for registering to vote and for what identification is needed on Election Day are different. 

To register to vote in Wisconsin, you must provide a proof of residence, which includes your name and current address. This includes, but is not limited to:

  • A current and valid State of Wisconsin Driver License or State ID card. 
  • Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit. 
  • Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder, but not including a business card.
  • A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election.
  • A university, college, or technical college identification card (must include photo) ONLY if the voter provides a fee receipt dated within the last 9 months or the institution provides a certified housing list, that indicates citizenship,  to the municipal clerk.
  • A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (utility bill) for the period commencing no earlier than 90 days before Election Day.
  • Bank statement.
  • Paycheck or paystub.
  • A check or other document issued by a unit of government.
  • A letter on public or private social service agency letterhead identifying a homeless voter and describing the individual’s residence for voting purposes.
  • Residential lease that is effective on date of registration. (Not valid if registering by mail.)
  • An intake document from a residential care facility such as a nursing home or assisted living facility. 

More information on acceptable documents can be found here.

Voting Early & by Absentee Ballot

If You Want to Vote Early

Wisconsin allows early voting at your local municipal clerk’s office. Each municipality is responsible for setting its own early voting dates and hours. Voters may search for their municipal clerk at the My Vote Wisconsin webpage.

If You Want to Vote Absentee

Registered Wisconsin voters may vote absentee without a reason or excuse by filling out an application and mailing it to the municipal clerk’s office. Ballot requests must be received by the municipal clerk no later than 5 p.m. on April 1,  2021.  The request can be made online at https://myvote.wi.gov/en-US/VoteAbsentee or by email or fax to the municipal clerk.  If you have not previously provided a copy of a photo ID, photo ID must accompany your application.  

An absentee ballot sent via the U.S. Postal Service must be received by April  6, 2021.  Ballots can also be hand-delivered to the municipal clerk’s office or the voter’s assigned polling place on election day. Voters may search for their municipal clerk on the My Wisconsin website.

Identification Requirements

Identification Requirements to Cast a Ballot

  • A driver’s license or ID card issued by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation;
  • A military ID card issued by a U.S. uniformed service;
  • A U.S. passport;
  • A veteran’s photo ID card issued by the Veterans Health Administration;
  • An identification card issued by a federally recognized Native American tribe in Wisconsin;
  • A certificate of naturalization that was issued on or after November 8, 2014;
  • A driving receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days);
  • An identification card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days); or
  • A photo identification card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college that contains date of issuance, signature of student, and an expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance. Such identification must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment.  (May be used even if expired before the most recent general election.)
  • A Wisconsin temporary identification card receipt issued through the Identification Petition Process (which voters who apply for an ID card at DMV, but do not have documents like birth certificates, receive).
If You Have Moved Within Your State

Each voter must vote at the appropriate polling place for his or her current address (as long as he or she has lived in that location for at least 28 days). Voters who have moved within Wisconsin and lived in their current locations for less than 28 days prior to the election must vote at the polling place for their prior address, either in-person or by absentee ballot. Voters who have lived in Wisconsin for less than 28 days prior to the election are only eligible to cast a Presidential-only ballot.

If You are in the Military or are an Overseas Voter

Absentee uniformed service members (and their eligible dependents), and U.S. citizens living outside of the United States may request an absentee ballot under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA). Military and permanent overseas voters do not need to provide a photo ID with their request. Military and Oversees voters can request an absentee ballot online at https://myvote.wi.gov/en-us/MilitaryOverseasVoters, by completing a Federal Post Card Application (https://www.fvap.gov/uploads/FVAP/Forms/fpca2013.pdf), or by contacting their Wisconsin municipal clerk.  Additional information is available at https://www.fvap.gov and https://elections.wi.gov/elections-voting/voters/military-overseas

Registering and Requesting an Absentee Ballot

UOCAVA voters can use the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to register to vote and to request an absentee ballot.  Visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s (FVAP) Wisconsin page. UOCAVA voters may also register to vote and request an absentee ballot through the My Vote Wisconsin webpage.

Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot

The Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot (FWAB) is a back-up ballot that can be used by UOCAVA voters.  You can use this FWAB whether you are located inside or outside the United States (including APO and FPO addresses), provided that you are away from your voting residence for service-related activities.  You must apply for a regular ballot early enough for your local election officials to receive the request at least 5 days before the election.  If you do not receive your regular ballot in time, you may use the FWAB.  Your FWAB must be received by your local voting officials in Wisconsin no later than noon on Election Day.  For specific instructions, visit here.

If You Have A Felony Conviction

You are not eligible to vote in Wisconsin if you have been convicted of a felony and you are currently serving any portion of your sentence (including extended supervision, probation, or parole, also known as being “on paper”).

Once you successfully complete your sentence and are no longer under the supervision of the Department of Corrections (“off paper”) your voting rights are restored, and you regain your eligibility to vote.  You must re-register to vote.

If you are in jail serving a misdemeanor sentence or are awaiting trial (even for a felony), you are still eligible to vote — usually by absentee ballot.  More information on voting for former felons and other incarcerated individuals is available on the Wisconsin Elections and Ethics Commissions’ website. Once convicted you cannot vote, even if you have not yet been sentenced.

Election Protection Materials

Documents are being updated.

Questions about voting in Wisconsin?

Contact Us