New Hampshire

Upcoming Elections

Last Updated: April 2022

Voting in New Hampshire

When You Can Vote

Polls must be open from at least 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time,  but individual communities may open their polls earlier or close them later.

Where You Can Vote

Designated polling locations and their hours are available here at the NH Secretary of State’s website.

Registering To Vote

Registration Deadlines

  • For registration deadlines, see How to Register below.

How to Check Your Registration: Voters can determine whether they are registered to vote at the following link: Am I Registered?.

You are eligible to vote in New Hampshire if you:

  • Are a U.S citizen
  • Are at least 18 years old by Election Day
  • Are domiciled in New Hampshire town or ward in which you seek to vote

You are NOT eligible to vote in New Hampshire if:

  • You are in prison or jail for a felony conviction.
  • You were disqualified from voting due to a court order

Restorative Requirements

  • If you have completed a felony prison sentence, even if you are still on parole or probation, then you are immediately eligible to register to vote.

How to register 

A voter is eligible if they are New Hampshire inhabitants who will be 18 years of age or older on the day of the next election, and a United States citizen. There is no minimum period of time a voter is required to have lived in the state before registering to vote. A voter may register as soon as they move into their new community.

A voter can register to vote at their town hall before the deadline or register to vote the day of the election at the polling place. No matter when or where the voter decide to register, they will be required to complete a Voter Registration form

For more information on Registering to Vote in New Hampshire, please visit: “Registering to Vote in New Hampshire”

Voting Early & by Absentee Ballot

If You Want to Vote Absentee, requests may be made:

  • In-Person
  • By Mail
  • By Fax

Absentee Ballots may be returned:

  • In-Person
  • By Mail

New Hampshire does not have early voting.  If a voter will be unable to vote in person on Election Day, they can request an absentee ballot.  

The voter should request their absentee ballot from their town/city clerk as early as possible.  An Absentee Ballot Application can be downloaded from the Secretary of State’s website by clicking on  

A voter may Mail/fax/or hand deliver the completed form to their local City/Town Clerk.  The ballot will only be counted if received before 5:00 p.m. on Election Day.
For more information on their absentee voting, the voter should visit the web site:

Identification Requirements

Voter Registration

In order to complete your voter registration in New Hampshire, you will need to prove age, domicile and citizenship. Accepted IDs include:

  • Valid New Hampshire Vehicle Registration
  • Valid Student ID
  • Certificate of Vehicle Ownership
  • Valid ID Issued by Another State
  • Birth Certificate
  • Valid New Hampshire non-driver’s ID
  • Valid US Passport
  • Valid New Hampshire issued ID
  • Valid Military ID
  • Valid New Hampshire Driver’s License except one issued to an individual that is not a United States citizen
  • A signed, Challenged Voter Registration Affidavit
  • Valid Federal issued ID

Note: You may use any combination of one or more of these IDs provided they establish proof of Age, Domicile and Citizenship.

Voting In-Person

Accepted forms of ID include:

  • Valid New Hampshire Voter ID Card with Photo
  • Valid US Passport
  • Valid Military ID
  • Valid New Hampshire Driver’s License
  • Valid New Hampshire Non-driver’s ID
  • Valid Photo ID
  • Valid Student ID from State School
  • Federally issued Driver’s License

The name on your voter id must match the name on your voter registration record.

Valid forms of identification (“ID”) are a driver’s license issued by any state or the federal government, a non-driver ID card issued by any state, a U.S. military ID, a U.S. passport, or a valid student ID card from a New Hampshire college, university, career school, or high school.  To be valid, the ID must contain the voter’s name and photograph and have an expiration date that has not been exceeded by more than five years, except that voters age 65 or older can vote regardless of when the ID expired.

If the voter does not have the required ID to register to vote, they can prove their identity, age, and/or citizenship, by signing a Qualified Voter Affidavit, under oath, in front of an election official.  The voter will also need to prove that they are domiciled in the town or ward where they intend to vote.  Proof can be either by documents or if they do not have documents with them, by affidavit.  

A voter may vote without providing ID, but they will need to use a Challenged Voter Affidavit which polling place staff should provide.  New Hampshire does not provide “provisional” ballots.  If the voter is required to file a Challenged Voter Affidavit, the state will mail the voter a letter of identity verification after the election.  The letter will ask the voter to return the letter within 30 days to confirm that they voted in the election, or to contact the attorney general immediately if he or she did not vote in the election.  The letter will also explain the procedure for obtaining a free non-driver’s photo ID for voting purposes.

There are no ID requirements for completing and returning the absentee ballot.

If You Have Moved Within Your State

If a voter has moved within the same precinct and has not informed the supervisors of the checklist, the voter will be required to update their address at the polling place.  

If the updated address is within the polling place’s town or ward, the voter must be permitted to vote.  

If the voter has moved to a different precinct or county, the voter will be required to re-register in the new precinct or county.  

New Hampshire permits same-day registration if the voter does not appear on the checklist at the correct polling place and is otherwise properly qualified to vote.

If You are in the Military or are an Overseas Voter

Voting Military

Service members and their dependents may register and request a ballot using the overseas voter registration/ballot request form (“FPCA”). You may include the following ID:

  • Your New Hampshire non-driver ID number
  • Your New Hampshire Driver’s License Number
  • Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number
  • Valid New Hampshire Voter ID Card

Voting Overseas

U.S. citizens living overseas may register and request a ballot using the overseas voter registration/ballot request form. You may include the following ID:

  • Your New Hampshire Driver’s License Number
  • Last 4 Digits of your Social Security Number
  • Valid New Hampshire Voter ID Card
  • Your New Hampshire non-driver ID number

Uniformed service members and overseas citizens may request absentee ballots using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), found on the U.S. Department of Defense FVAP website at  A uniformed or overseas citizen (UOCAVA) voter may be sent a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) by mail, e-mail or fax by their city/town clerk, or they may go to the FVAP site on-line to print an FPCA or FWAB.  The application may be found here.

If You Have a Criminal Conviction

A person sentenced for a felony may not vote from the time of sentencing until the sentence’s final discharge, unless the execution of sentence is suspended (with or without probation) or the person is paroled.  In other words, New Hampshire automatically restores voting rights to persons with felony convictions upon release from prison, but the voter must re-register if they have been removed from the checklist due to the felony conviction.  

Persons confined in a penal institution in pre-trial detention or as a result of a conviction for a misdemeanor retain the right to vote.  Most people sentenced to County Corrections fall in this category.  Their domicile for voting purposes is the town or city where they had their domicile immediately prior to being confined.  Persons confined in a penal institution must vote by absentee ballot.

Questions about voting in New Hampshire?

Contact Us